Step by step guide on how to install Windows 7 on a PC Desktop / Laptop computer, you can use this guide if you are reinstalling or installing for the first time. You will require your original installation DVD, if you do not have a copy of Windows 7 I would suggest purchasing one from Ebuyer.com or Amazon. If your computer has been infected with a virus or performance has decreased due to an old install of Windows a format and reinstall will get your PC back up to speed!
WARNING – Reinstalling or installing Windows 7 will destroy data from the hard drive in the PC your installing Windows 7 on and will replace it with a fresh install of W7. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
How to install windows 7 guide
See guide below for step by step instructions on how to install Windows 7 if you need any help tweet us @techspotting on Twitter.
- Boot your PC from DVD, on Dell machines you can hit F12 and select the CD/DVD ROM as the boot device, other machines may vary. Once your machine boots from DVD you will eventually see the screen below (this can take several minutes to load). Select your language and click next.
- Click on “Install Now”
- Select your language keyboard layout and currency for your country.
- Accept Microsoft’s License terms (if you want to use their software).
- Select Install Type, this guide is for installing or reinstalling Windows 7, so click on “Custom Install” .
- Select the Hard Drive or partition where you want to install Windows 7, because this is a fresh install of W7 I am simply going to leave it as default and click next. If you have an old install of Windows and you wish to perform a clean install I would recommend deleting the old partition and recreating it using “Drive Options (advanced)”.
- After clicking Next to the previous option, you will see the screen below as Windows 7 installs, this normally takes about 20 minutes… Depending on your hardware, extracting files does seem to take a while so be patient.
- Once the install has completed it will reboot and you will see a screen similar to the following
- Next you will be prompted for your Windows 7 username, this is the name you will use to log onto your Windows 7 desktop. Click Next
- You will now be prompted to enter your password twice and setup a password hint, make sure you set your password to something secure, upper and lower case alphanumeric, ideally with some special symbols. Click Next.
- Click recommended settings.
- Review your Time & Date settings and set your time zone.
- Set your PC’s current network location, Home, Work or Public.
You will then see your PC connecting to your network…
- Windows 7 will then prepare your desktop, optimizing graphics settings etc.
- Install complete! You did it!! Windows 7 will now download updates and probably prompt you to reboot.